mandag 30. juni 2014

It's Monday - What Are You Reading?

2a

I've been suffering from a bit of a bookhangover this last week. After finishing a book written by one of my favourite Norwegian authors, Jørn Lier Horst, I haven't been able to find a book to settle down with. I think I've started reading about three books, but everything felt wrong and ended up putting them back in the shelf again...
Now I hope I've found a book I can enjoy this week. "Calling me home" by Julie Kibler seems like a wonderful book, and in Norwegian it's called "Kom hjem".

Calling Me HomeKom hjem


In "Calling Me Home" by Julie Kibler, eighty-nine-year-old Isabelle McAllister has a favor to ask her hairdresser Dorrie Curtis. It's a big one. Isabelle wants Dorrie, a black single mom in her thirties, to drop everything to drive Isabelle from her home in Arlington, Texas, to a funeral in Cincinnati. With no clear explanation why. Tomorrow. 
Curious whether she can unlock the secrets of Isabelle's guarded past, she agrees, not knowing it will be a journey that changes both their lives. 
Over the years, Dorrie and Isabelle have developed more than just a business relationship. They are friends. But Dorrie, fretting over the new man in her life and her teenage son's irresponsible choices, still wonders why Isabelle chose her. 
Isabelle confesses that, as a willful teen in 1930s Kentucky, she fell deeply in love with Robert Prewitt, a would-be doctor and the black son of her family's housekeeper--in a town where blacks weren't allowed after dark. The tale of their forbidden relationship and its tragic consequences makes it clear Dorrie and Isabelle are headed for a gathering of the utmost importance and that the history of Isabelle's first and greatest love just might help Dorrie find her own way.





7 kommentarer:

  1. jag har läst en del norskt, men inget av Horst, idag ska jag avsluta en ny tysk bok.

    SvarSlett
  2. Calling Me Home sounds fascinating! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Here's my It's Monday!

    SvarSlett
  3. Boo to the book hangover, hope Calling Me Home is just what you need. Must put Jørn Lier Horst on my list to try. Have a great week and happy reading :)

    SvarSlett
  4. Oh wow, Calling Me Home sounds amazing!! I will have to check that author out. :)

    SvarSlett
  5. I've had book hangover at times. I'll read a great book and then I can't get into the next one. I ended up starting a few before finally finding a good one. I hope you find one soon. Have a great week!

    SvarSlett
  6. Book hangover is just the right term. An excellent book makes the next one - no matter how good - seem a little colorless. Calling Me Home sounds amazing though. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    SvarSlett